move into the weekend. Although we do not know whether Joaquin will definitely make landfall on Monday or Tuesday, we have begun the planning and preparation process.
Members of the Denville Office of Emergency Management are meeting regularly to discuss and prepare for the various scenarios that may impact our community as a result of the storm. In the event timely information needs to be distributed to the community, the following social media outlets will be utilized:
- Facebook (www.facebook.com/TownshipOfDenville)
- Denville’s Official Website: (www.denvillenj.org)
In order to help us help you, we provide the following preliminary tips to all local residents:
- Clear Debris and Leaves from the Catch Basins Adjacent to your Home
- Move All Automobiles out of Flood-Prone Areas
- Evacuate your home if your Neighborhood is Issued a Mandatory Evacuation Notice
- Respect “Road Closed” Signs
- Check on Elderly Neighbors to Ensure they are Prepared
- Ensure Emergency Provisions are Made for Household Pets
Safety Tips During Power Outages:
- Customers who are without power are encouraged to call 1-888-LIGHTSS
- Keep flashlights and fresh batteries in your home. Avoid using candles to light your home, especially around children and pets.
- If you have a water well and pump, keep an emergency supply of bottled water and/or fill your bathtub with fresh water.
- Stock an emergency supply of convenience foods that do not require cooking.
- Have a hard-wired telephone or a charged cell phone handy in the event you need to report your electricity is out. Mobile phones can be charged in your vehicle using a car charger when the power is out.
- Gather extra blankets or a sleeping bag for each person.
- Do not use gas stoves, kerosene heaters or other open-flame heat sources to prevent deadly carbon monoxide gas from building up in your home.
- Keep a battery-powered radio with extra batteries on hand. Tune to a local station for current storm information.
Basic Preparedness Tips
Fill vehicle fuel tanks and make sure you have cell phone car plug adapters to charge phones and portable devices in the event of extended power outages.
Fill spare gasoline containers in the event that you have a gas generator or other critical gas powered items
Put together a disaster supply kit, including a flashlight, batteries, cash, first aid supplies, and copies of your critical information if you need to evacuate
If you are not in an area that is advised to evacuate and you decide to stay in your home, plan for adequate supplies in case you lose power and water for several days and you are not able to leave due to flooding or blocked roads.
Register with Nixle to receive regular updates from the Township of Denville and the Denville Police Department. To register text ‘07834’ to ‘888777’ or visit the Denville Police Department website to register online at: http://denvillepolice.org/nixlenotify.html